We’ve all heard the saying, dress for the job you want, not the job you have, but how can you actually do this? How can you dress to ensure you make a great first impression to get your dream job?
Your appearance begins to speak for you from the moment you meet someone new, even before you have said anything. People notice things about your appearance, such as the clothes you’re wearing and your hairstyle, and make assumptions about you based on them.
So how can you ensure you’re dressing for success and making an awesome first impression? Keep reading as we share our top tips with you!
Dress for the Company Culture
Every company has its own unique culture and follows a different dress code. It’s best to align yourself with each specific company’s culture and dress code anytime you are meeting or interviewing with them. This helps to show that you’re a good fit. As an example, if you have a job interview with a bank, wear a suit because the banking industry follows a more formal dress code than others.
Spend some time researching a company’s dress code before a meeting or interview, so you can dress to impress! Here are some of the most common dress codes used today:
- Business Formal – Formal suits, solid color ties, button-up shirts, dress shoes, and dark colors are all common as part of the most formal dress code.
- Business Professional – Dress pants, professional skirts, sports jackets, patterned ties, and nice shirts are all great for this dress code, as it allows you to wear more color.
- Business Casual – Shirts with colors and patterns, skirts in different colors, khakis, polos, vests, and sweaters are all great for adding more personality to your look in this dress code.
- Casual – T-shirts, jeans, skirts, sweaters, sandals, and sneakers are all acceptable in this dress code because it’s the most informal, allowing for many outfit choices.
To show your professionalism and make a great first impression, always dress up for meetings and interviews, even if a company follows a more casual dress code.
Dress for the Specific Event
Depending on the type of career event you’re going to, it can require different outfit choices. When dressing for a job interview, always wear professional attire, as this can give you an advantage over other candidates. Wearing clothing from the business professional dress code, keeping jewelry and fragrance to a minimum, and rocking a clean, neat hairstyle are all great tips for interviews. With only one chance to make a great first impression, you have to make it count!
In today’s digital world, interviews are often held over video with Skype or a similar program. You must still dress up and look your professional best for a video interview because the person interviewing you will be able to see at least the top half of you via the video. Be sure to wear business clothes with a professional hairstyle.
When attending things like networking events and career fairs, it’s essential to look your best here as well. The people you meet could be hiring directly or could refer you to other opportunities, so do your best to make a great first impression.
Dress for Success Tips
For students and new graduates just starting their professional careers, dressing for success can be overwhelming and challenging. Not currently having a professional wardrobe and being unsure of what is workplace appropriate are common issues. Check out these tips to get you started:
- Shop strategically and purchase clothes you can wear many ways.
- Wear more solid colors in your clothing choices.
- Dress in clothing that is appropriate for the workplace.
- Accessorize with minimal jewelry.
- Hide piercings and tattoos, because you want people focused on how great you are, not thinking about what your tattoo means.
- Wear hair in a clean, neat, and professional style.
- Keep perfume or cologne minimal, as others could be allergic.
- Wear makeup that looks natural and professional.
If you’re ever unsure of how to dress to make a great first impression, think about this quote from Oscar Wilde: “You can never be overdressed or overeducated.”
Put Your Career on The Fast Track
Now you’ll make an awesome first impression on everyone you meet by dressing for success!
At Boardman Training Center, we offer fast-track training and certification programs to get you into your dream healthcare career. Learn more about our Cardio Phlebotomy, EKG Technician, Phlebotomy Technician, and Medical Office Specialist programs and request information now to get started!